Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Can You Feel The Pulse?

Every morning, no matter what time I wake up, I find myself clicking on one specific app. Whether its my Nexus 7 or my iPhone Pulse seems to be one of my most active apps. RSS readers are becoming more popular, quick glance summarys of our most beloved sites. But is Pulse really worth you using it? Or is it going to be another app you`ve downloaded but never really use? Lets take a look...

Pulse, released in 2010 was designed to be a simple yet easy to use RSS reader. You may remember  Apple Inc. founder Steve Jobs praising the app at WWDC back in 2010. How does it function? Once you open Pulse it will ask you to update it with your favorite websites. They make it very easy to search for your favorite websites, but they also make it easy to find new websites. There is a Catalog button, with recommended websites for you and different catagories depending on your preferrence. This is a very useful feature of this app because I have discovered new websites that I might have never found out about if it wasnt for this app. Adding additional websites is simple, just click the plus sign and they will now become a part of your stream. If you pull down on your stream that will cause everyone of your websites to refresh. If you want only one specific app refreshed just pull it to the right. One thing I find interesting about pulling your stream down to refresh all your websites is that the Pulse logo will actually start to Pulse, its a clean yet effective animation that makes the app high quality. Want to share your favorite articles with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or threw email? Well this app allows you to do all of that very effortlessly and fluidly. Just click on the logo of your preferred sharing method and your article is off. Its really that easy. If you are like me and have multiple devices, Pulse makes it simple to log on and sync your favorite websites between devices. You can use your email account or your Facebook account to sign in.Once I add or remove something on my Nexus 7, when I pick up my iPhone, the adjustment has already been made. If you happen to leave your devices at home but just have an itch to read all your favorite websites from one solid source, Pulse now has their app available threw the browser at www.Pulse.me. If you like an article, you can click on the thumb nail and you`ll get the articles text and any pictures associated with the article. If you want to go to actually website all you have to do is click Continue Reading and the app will become a browser and show you the full website within the app. Pulse is a one stop shop for your websites. The only negative I have found with this app is specifically with the Nexus 7 version. When in the Catalog the animations arent exactly smooth, in fact there down right choppy! For such a high quality app its pretty unexceptable. I beleive the reason for this choppiness is because the app isnt optimized for the Nexus 7, its just a scaled up Android phone app. Over all this app is a pleasure to use. I highly recommend it and I beleive everyone should give it a try no matter what device you use. I give Pulse a 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment